Printable Chinese New Year Envelopes
12 January 2020
Happy Full-fat Year to my friends and family!
The Year of the Rat is here in 2020 and, as always, Chinese New Year is a time of family gatherings with great tasting food brimming full of colour, traditional lion dances, live music and a whole lot of dragons. I remember when I was a kid, I’d always look forward to receiving lai see (lucky money) off family adults and seeing how much I’d get and feeling excited about getting a new set of clothes to wear on the actual big day.
Today, I’m sharing a pretty cheesy DIY stinking good lai see envelope tutorial. Print out the design, and construct your envelope and write your own personal greeting on the front. Use them to gift money, hold a tiny note of good thoughts, or why not fill with chocolate golden coins – the possibilities are endless!
You will need:
- A4 sized paper (medium thickness preferred)
- Glue stick, cutter, scissors, cutting mat, ruler, and a printer
- Download and print this template onto A4 white card.
- Cut the template out but cutting along the solid lines.
- Fold along the dashed lines.
- Use double-sided tape or a glue stick to stick the flaps where require gluing.
- Fold and insert the top flap into the slit.
- Your envelopes should look like the image above.
Hope you have fun making your cheesy envelopes, and please don’t forget to be generous!:)
Giving lai see envelopes are a great way to send good wishes and luck and even if you don’t celebrate Chinese New Year, making these envelopes are a great way to learn about Chinese culture.