British Pie Week 7-13 March 2011
06 March 2011
Who ate all the pies? who ate all the pies?
Tomorrow starts British Pie Week a great British food week celebrating our love for all things Pie-like. Pies are just about as close to perfect comfort food as you can get. They’re relatively cheap to make and if you’re unsure about making the light puff pastry bit (like I am) why not use the Jus-Rol stuff? My fave pie is a Chicken and Mushroom Pie (with memories of school days and family lunches), or if I ask Bazza I know he’ll say a meaty Beef and Ale Pie …serve up with a generous dollop of mash. Sorted.
Why not make the most of the British Pie Week Sheffield events at pubs & restaurants across the city by sampling a new pie or two washed down with a pint of beer/real ale or juice in a series of special menus? Follow my tweets to find out some pie gem happenings across the UK (especially in Sheffield) – conversation: #missiebritishpieweek – there’s bound to be something to tempt your taste buds during the week. With sweet (apple pie), savoury (chicken and mushroom pie), and pies that are not really pies (Shepherds pie?) there are so many to choose from!
Calling all pie fans
If you do fancy baking this weekend – how about baking a ‘tasty and wholesome’ pie from the usual Sunday lunch of a roast? From my pictures (see above) you can obviously see I’ve had a busy pie-ing up weekend – and what’s inside I hear you ask? it’s chicken and sweetcorn with fried onions & leeks (NOM stuff! :). If you’re a pub chef, you could celebrate the week by creating your foods menu with a bespoke pie themed design – a Special’s Pies Menu is always a treat? Think about some inspiring (challenging) pie ideas to help make your British Pie Week a great success! – Chicken Curry pie? Sweet and soured pork pie? or even a bacon and eggs breakfast pie anyone!? (YES, please! – Missie)
It’s EASY as pie: Suggestions and ideas
Here’s a few quickie suggestions for creating a range of perfect pies for British (Sheffield :) Pie Week:
• To keep it interesting, cook a variety of pies (Sweet N Sour pork pie anyone?) – use different types of pastry and filling to add interest to your menu
• Include inspiring meat-free pie options for vegetarians (courgette & goat’s cheese tarts anyone?)
• Quick time-saving tip – use Jus-Rol Puff Pastry! (it’s as good as the homemade stuff)
• Decorate pies with fun and interesting designs (dig out those cookie cutters – cut out some funky shapes from leftover bits of pastry)
• Make the most of seasonal and Sheffield ingredients including them in your pie filling or served at the side – delicious!
• Plus don’t forget that pies are perfect for dessert too! (a Missie Cindz favourite is Apple – NOM!)
Tweet me and let me know what you pub chefs and foody people are up to for British Pie Week – or even better, if you’re like me who enjoy ‘Foods Stalking’ – tweet a picture of your wholesome pies (and menus) over for my Missie eyes – I’d be happy to re-tweet and take a gawp at your delightful offering.
Finally “Who ate all the pies?”….We have! :) – have some delicious pie-tastic fun.