Festive Cheese and Onion Scones
20 December 2011
I go mad for the scone, whether they’re sweet or savoury, served with a cuppa – these treats never disappoint me.
Have these savoury cheese and onion scones with a nice hot winter-type soup like creamy mushroom or French onion. They only need to bake for 12-15 minutes to come out soft and golden. Remember, you can also make these as edible festive treats for friends and family – they’re bound to bring sparkles to any Christmas party…
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 50g (1oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- 150ml milk plus a little extra for glazing
- ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 medium 0nion, chopped
- ½tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 220ºC (425ºF, gas mark 5) and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Mix together the flour and salt, then rub in the butter.
- Finely slice the onion and gently fry them over a medium heat along with the sugar and salt until nice brown caramel colour and darkened at the edges. This should take about 5 mins. Now transfer it to a plate to cool.
- Stir in the grated cheese, poppy seeds, milk and cooked onions to the flour mixture and form a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and lightly knead, the mixture might be a little wet, if so, sprinkle some flour onto the palm of your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands. Pat the dough out to form a round 2cm thick circle.
- Using a 5cm ‘star’ or ‘Christmas tree’ shaped cutter stamp out the scones until all the mix is used.
- Place scones on baking tray, brush with milk and bake for 12-15 mins. Best served slightly warm. NOM!!
Cindz Tip: These scrummy scones can also be served as part of a buffet or party food selection. When the scones have cooled, halve, spread with butter, then sandwich with cress, cheese slices and chutney – whatever tickles your taste buds really!
Click here to download my Cindz recipes: Festive Cheese and Onion Scones – they’re NOM!